Helen - @CPhysiologist
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and AF
Advice from the Atrial Fibrillation Association 09/03/2020
"Coronavirus guidance: We are aware that people with AF and other arrhythmias are understandably concerned about Coronavirus (COVID 19). We understand that having AF or any arrhythmia does not put you in a higher risk category, or at an increased risk of contracting Coronavirus. However if you do contract the disease and have cardiovascular issues, diabetes or a lung condition or other chronic health issues, the symptoms may affect you more and may be more dangerous. To prevent the spread of this illness or other illnesses, including the flu:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water, (recommended every two hours for a minimum of 20 seconds – some say sing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice so you know you have washed them long enough)
• It has also been advised to clean your mobile phone every time your wash your hands
• Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze (advice is to cough into your arm rather than your hand to reduce risk of spreading any germs.
• Call 111 if you think you may have symptoms for advice and guidance.
• Visit https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ for more information on the Coronavirus, including what you should know about symptoms, treatments, testing, and other frequently asked questions".